Thursday, August 28, 2008

Cynical Idealist?

I've been thinking a lot about why I have so much emotionally invested in Obama's possible presidency. I think I knew all along, but I've been slow to admit it to myself. I read or heard somewhere, I can't remember, that it's pretty much been proven that most people vote for those whom they feel are most like them. Now, this seems awfully solipsistic, and also illogical. Just because someone isn't like you doesn't mean they can't be a good leader.

But when I'm really honest with myself, I know that I like Obama because more than any other politician, pretty much ever, I feel akin to his experiences. Of course, he' black, and I'm not. However, beyond that, for many years before he entered politics, he was a scholar of law. I define myself, at least professionally, as a scholar. His three favorite authors are Faulkner, Melville, and and Phillip Roth. Talk about going 3-for-3. In Dreams From My Father, his very well-written memoir, he talks about reading Invisible Man, and Malcolm X's autobiography--and several other books that have stirred me as well, and meant quite a bit to me over the years.

His wife's name is Michelle, he has young daughters, he's lived all over the place, and he's simply and obviously more attuned to my generation. I also agree with him on most (not all) of his policies and general beliefs about political and governmental issues. But part of my enthusiasm for him also stems, I think, from two other things: my early fascination with hip-hop culture, which many suburban white boys have experienced, and Obama's non-militaristic background. Let me be clear here: I have nothing against the military. I have many relatives who fought for the U.S. in WWII and Vietnam.

Yet, I think part of the reason that Iraq has been bungled is that this country often commits the error of confusing means and ends. What I mean is that our attitude toward the military, which is encapsulated by the common "Support the Troops" sentiment, promulgates the idea that we enter wars so that our heroes can exercise their god-given right to valor. For example, anyone who questions the Iraq War is often assumed as having not "supported the troops," as if this is the only thing that matters when evaluating our foreign policy. We get into wars to exercise foreign policy objectives, not to justify our already having sent troops to the battlefield. The argument that we would be somehow disservicing our troops if we were to get out of Iraq ASAP, suggests that the experience troops have, and their self-perception, and our perception of their heroism, is tantamount to why we went their in the first place. Sadly, though, our administration doesn't have a clue as to what exactly they want...a free Iraq? Palestine was also "given" a democracy and they elected Hamas. What if the Iraqis elect someone we don't like? Will it be a failed enterprise? Will a "free Iraq" really "change" the middle east? Maybe, but how could anyone answer that with the assurance necessary to send our troops to war, especially when Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11? That's a huge price to pay, and risk to take, for something you're merely guessing will turn out ok. If a war cannot be justified, you don't keep troops into the battlefield just to save face. You bring them home, cede that you've erred, and ask for forgiveness. If only we lived in that kind of world.

Call me an idealist. I've always considered myself a cynic and a skeptic, but lately I've realized that there's an idealism in me which has played a significant role in why I am so invested in this campaign, and which leads me to give Obama the benefit of the doubt when I disagree with him or when he shows weakness. I hope in the end that my enthusiasm for his candidacy will be justified by history and not simply by my own identification with him.

4 comments:

Vicki said...

Hi Sam. Take a look at this and then tell me this- can a man believe this is right (he voted for it) and still have moral judgement? And if he lacks moral judgement, can he effectively and wisely lead a country? Or what consitutes wisdom in your eyes? I would assume you believe Obama has the wisdom to lead us. You're obviously very intelligent and well versed. I really want to know what you do with this in your heart?

http://www.jillstanek.com/archives/2007/09/stanek_on_the_o.html

How can a man enthusiastically vote for a leader who would promote this? I'll look forward to your response!
your cousin :)

Vicki said...

I said that wrong ("he voted for it"). Was meaning he voted against the 2001, 2002 born alive bills that would have defined any aborted fetus that showed signs of life as a "born alive infant" entitled to legal protection.

Sam Schwartz said...

Hi Vicki--I'd be happy to clarify.

I do not vote on politicians based upon single issues. If you'd like to discuss morality of life issues, I could raise the issue of torture, which this administration condones. Ironically, we've prosecuted other war criminals for the same exact methods we now practice. I could raise the issue of Hurricane Katrina, which our federal government, run by Republicans, failed to register much concern for at all. I could raise the issue of health care. Millions of sick people go uninsured in our country because oru business-friendly system cares more about dollars than it does about lives. I could raise the question of our war-dead, who were sent to Iraq on a foundation of lies and hubris.

In general, I think that many Republicans use the abortion issue to win votes. Surely some are sincere, but there has been very little, if any impact made on Roe v. Wade since the decision, despite periods in the 80's and in the recent decade when Republicans held both the executive and legislative branches, as well as a conservative Supreme Court. I would go so far as to say that Republicans need the abortion issue to win elections. I choose not to reward them for their cynicism.

I am not very familiar with the "born alive bills." However, my initial impression of them is that they are exactly the kind of bills that some Republicans introduce in order to say they're actually doing something, when the actual impact of the bill would do very little to affect the number of abortions performed. They are written so that when politicians vote on them, that vote can be used against them. They are political bills meant to find out where people stand, but that do not have any effect in reality.

Wisdom, to me, represents a willingness to learn throughout one's life, and the possession and practice of humility. The kind of humility that recognizes that no one human or ideology can make claims for being morally pure. Surely the question of human life, and when it begins, is a profound issue. But when it comes to electing politicians, the issue becomes cheapened by rhetoric and non-action. Which is why it's one, but not THE issue that helps me decide who I'm going to vote for.

It's good to hear from you--I hope you and your family are doing well.

SchwartzCats said...

Fortunately, our hope and trust (as written on our currency) is not in man, or any one president, but in God.